WELCOME TO THE AMERICAN LEGION

America's Largest Veterans Service Organization

myLegion.org Icon
Social IconsSocial IconsSocial IconsSocial IconsSocial Icons

T.H.B. POST 187 AUXILIARY HISTORY

 

auxiliary_display_big_lowre.jpg

1923 – Unit Chartered. 

1930 – Meetings held at Masonic Temple; 5-Day carnival held over July 4th. 

1933 – DEPRESSION – Doc. French, Commander; no history kept – too busy coping. 1935 – Membership grew to 131; two initiations held that year; held card parties; took jelly to vets at Elgin State Hospital.  

1936 – A fitted traveling kit was presented to Mildred McCallum who was leaving February 1st for a two-year stay in the Philippines. 

1937 – Membership dropped to 116; Margaret French (war nurse) was President; meetings held in Masonic Temple. 

1938 – Gave flag code books to “rural schools”; sent flowers to Mr. and Mrs. Hintz (Gold Star parents of Richard Hintz, one of the men for whom the Post is named) on their 51st wedding anniversary. 

1940 – Orphans were guests at our Christmas Party; donated $10.00 plus cod liver oil (ugh!) for underprivileged children. 

1941 – Membership now at 160; supplied patients at Elgin Hospital with cold cream jars, snuff, 1 ½ cent postage stamps, tubes of liniment, a quart of honey and jelly. 

1942 – Membership at 176; held dinner dance for 47 GI’s from Fort Sheridan; made covers for hot water bottles for SPEEDWAY Hospital, now HINES Hospital. 

1943 – Thirty-nine members gave 56 pints of blood; 65 members donated 7,398 hours to Red Cross.

 

 

<< Previous Page     Next Page >>


TOP